"One man's trash is another man's treasure, and the by-product from one food can be perfect for making another."


I was at Mhacks 6, eating pizza and thinking for a project to work on. Soon I got full and had two slices of pizza left, at this moment I had the choice to throw those slices or give the pizza to someone who was hungry(developers are always need food). This was the moment the idea of food donation dawned and biteShare was born.

My Design Process

During the creation of biteShare, I researched a lot about the interfaces being used by other apps and how I could maintain semantic interactions across the application while preserving the discovery and the user experience of the app. I continually performed usability testing on the application to address all issues which were found quiet often.


The discovery process involved taking user interviews and brainstorming around the inputs I got from the users based on the key areas of problems they listed.


The discovery process also laid out the personas of users that would be involved in the process, and narrowing the user base so that the problem isn't too wide to solve and we have a very narrow area to discover

Problem defintion

The discovery stage was followed by the problem definition stage which helped scope the problem, though the problem statement drastically throughout the primary purpose wasn't revised i.e. saving food.


Competitive Analysis

After finishing the persona's the process was followed by performing some competitive analysis, which involved performing a evaluation of the problem definition and making sure that the decisions that were made have no availability bias

Competitive Analysis


The competitive analysis was followed by some serious business and doing a series of QoC (Questions, Opinions and Criteria) evaluations, they helped us make decisions with some rationality and help us list of various criteria's and then weight them against various alternatives available


The sketching involved a lot of assets, like Storyboards, Paper Prototypes


Paper Prototypes


The above is just one of the few Hi-fi prototypes that was made in the complete process, The final prototype looks like this


The whole presented me with a lot of challenges, like security/privacy specially when sharing the location was in the process. This changed the solution offered to select a community place or one owns house (if necessary).


Keeping it simple isn’t easy

The biggest take away was that information is unlimited, but we must make the choices to present the default information to our users, because they will direct how the users interact.

Involve user as soon as possible

The second takeaway was that it is necessary to scope the project down, because it is easy to add new features and have a goal that isn't achievable

The design isn’t the solution

I spend too much time on making everything more aesthetically pleasing, which shouldn't be the focus because what's rather important is how the users perceive the app and experience it versus just finding it pretty

Room for Improvement

The app still has a lot of room for improvement, some of the features I envision are

  • Location based check-in: This would basically allow people to reach the place and then checking and then rate the person who has been sharing food and give reviews.
  • Commercialization: Allowing the shops to give-out their leftovers after the day end because there certainly is a lot of food wasted after the end of the day.